Details on lobby days
The most effective advocates for public schools in Minnesota are the front-line educators who guide our students toward successful lives every day, which is why Education Minnesota has made it easier than ever for members to participate in lobby days.
Please send the following information to Ashley Behrens at least 10 days before members arrive in St. Paul:
- Date of visit (Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays are best)
- List of locals attending
- List of members and email contact information
- Names of legislators who will be visited and time of visit
We will provide a day-of briefing for members at our headquarters on your lobby day. The briefing will include:
- A brief review of issues to be lobbied, our position on those issues and information about the legislators members will visit
- Editing help, as needed, for the stories to be shared during the lobby visit
- Information we need from legislator visits before members go home for the day
- Coffee and a light continental breakfast
The reimbursement policies for locals and statewide affiliates attending lobby days are outlined below. Please contact Ashley Behrens with any questions about the reimbursement process.
- Locals may be reimbursed for substitute costs for up to two (2) members for each lobby day they attend. This policy will be in effect when local negotiated leaves are not available or when a local has a limited number of union leave days and needs them for local union business.
- Mileage will be reimbursed at .20 per mile for one round trip per vehicle.
- Meals will be reimbursed up to $10 per member attending.
- Locals will be reimbursed for one (1) standard hotel room, per local, when member lobbyists travel 125 miles or more one way. Meal reimbursements will be up to an additional $25 per member.
- Statewide affiliates will receive reimbursement of up to $300.