Details on lobby days
The most effective advocates for public schools in Minnesota are the front-line educators who guide our students toward successful lives every day, which is why Education Minnesota has made it easier than ever for members to participate in lobby days.
Due to the pandemic, all lobby days for the 2021 Legislature will be held virtually via Zoom.
These virtual lobby days will be scheduled and coordinated by local leadership and EdMN staff as they have been in the past.
When your local or IO has details finalized, please send the following information to Ashley Behrens before your scheduled lobby day:
- Date of visit (Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays are best)
- List of locals attending
- List of members and email contact information
- Names of legislators who will be visited and time of visit
We will provide a 45-minute briefing for members on your lobby day. The briefing will include:
- A brief review of issues to be lobbied, our position on those issues and information about the legislators members will visit.
- Editing help, as needed, for the stories to be shared during the lobby visit.
- Information we need from legislator visits before members log off for the day.
Reimbursement policies for locals and statewide affiliates attending lobby days are outlined below. Please contact Ashley Behrens with any questions about the reimbursement process.
- Locals may be reimbursed for substitute costs for up to two (2) members for each lobby day they attend. This policy will be in effect when local negotiated leaves are not available or when a local has a limited number of union leave days and needs them for local union business.
- Statewide affiliates will receive reimbursement of up to $300.