Education Minnesota Early Enrollment Program
Who is eligible?
All potential members, regardless of whether they’ve been members before, are eligible for the Early Enrollment Program this year. Education Minnesota was granted a one-time exemption to recruit previous NEA members who may have dropped their membership. This means that every potential member is eligible to participate this year.
For all purposes, including membership counts and governance representation, early enrollees are non-members until the membership year begins on Sept. 1, 2021.
Members receive access to an array of member benefits from the organizations listed below beginning April 1, 2021, through Aug. 31, 2021 at no cost.
1. NEA Educators Employment Liability (EEL) Program – professional liability insurance
2. NEA Member Benefits Programs
* Unified Legal Services Program (ULSP) is available before Sept. 1 to first-time active members when their school year work starts before Sept. 1. ULSP covers that member’s work for the school and continues, after Sept. 1, as part of their regular benefits from the association.
- For a comprehensive look at all the programs and services NEA Member Benefits offers early enrollees, visit NEA early enrollment member benefits.
- Please note that first-time active early enrollees are not eligible to participate in the NEA Complimentary Life and Introductory Life Insurance programs and the Unified Legal Services Program (ULSP)* until their memberships are fully activated in September 2021.
The distinction between when EEL and ULSP becomes a benefit is shown in the continuum below:
|First-time active member
|April 1 and school year work starts Aug. 15
ULSP as of Aug. 15
3. AFT Member Benefit Programs
- For a comprehensive look at all the programs and services AFT Member Benefits offers early enrollees, visit AFT member benefits.
- Please note that first-time Active early enrollees are not eligible to participate in the AFT Group Term Life Insurance and Defense Fund until their memberships are fully activated in September 2021.
4. Education Minnesota ESI Member Benefit Program
- For a comprehensive look at all the programs and services Education Minnesota ESI Member Benefits offers early enrollees, visit the Education Minnesota website.
- Please note that first-time active early enrollees are not eligible to participate in the Identity Theft Recovery Protection Plan until their memberships are fully activated in September 2021.
How to join?
- Apply online (This quick, easy online form is the recommended method of joining.)
- Paper application
- Complete all pages of the 2021-22 Early Enrollment Application and Pledge Form and 2020-21 Education Minnesota Application Form (paper copy).
- Attach the completed pledge form to the application form and return both to your field office. Save a copy for your records.
- If your local needs paper membership applications or pledge forms, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your mailing address and the quantity needed.
- Ensure that the employment start date is entered on the application and the pledge form.
- Ensure each membership application has an accompanying early enrollment pledge form.
- Applications received without the pledge form will be processed as a regular application.
- Early enrollment pledge forms received without an application cannot be processed and will be returned to the local.