The murder of George Floyd. The Derek Chauvin trial. The recent rise in bias and violence against Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders.
These are heavy, challenging times for us all, but particularly our communities of color.
Education Minnesota has compiled the following lists of resources for educators and parents to help children and adolescents cope and process these and other traumatic events.
Find something we missed?
Contact us and we'll add it.
Daunte Wright shooting:
- Brooklyn Center Community Schools donation drive and student resources
- Brooklyn Center students and families GoFundMe page
- Wright family GoFundMe page
- Recommendations & Resources for Supporting Students Before, During & After the Chauvin Trial (University of Minnesota)
- City of Minneapolis Trial Supports
- Chauvin Trial Community Support (Legal Rights Center)
- How to Talk About Traumatic Events & Tragedies (MDE)
- Responding to Trauma in Your Classroom (Learning for Justice)
- Helping Youth After Community Trauma: Tips for Educators (NCTSN)
- Helping Children & Adolescents Cope With Trauma & Disasters (NIMH)
- Talking About Race in the Classroom (NEA)
- 16 Resources on Talking to Students About Police Killings and Racism (Education Week)
- Talking to Kids About Racism & Injustice (Oakland Public Library)
- What to Say to Kids When the News is Scary (NPR)
- Parenting a Child Who Has Experienced Trauma (Child Welfare Information Gateway)
- Trauma and Grief (Child Mind Institute)
The Legal Rights Center, in partnership with Minneapolis Public Schools, is offering multiple opportunities for learning and processing during the trial:
- Six short educational videos covering different parts of a criminal trial, in a YouTube playlist and on Facebook. The topics covered are: What is a Trial?, Roles in a Trial, Pretrial Hearings, Jury Selection, Race and Juries in Hennepin County, and What Happens During a Criminal Trial.
- Comprehensive Restorative Toolkit for people who want to hold space to process the trial.
Anti-Asian racism & violence:
- Resource Guide on Anti-Asian Violence (APALA)
- How to Respond to Coronavirus Racism (Learning for Justice)
- Responding to COVID Bullying, Bias & Violence Against Asian Americans (Colorin Colorado)
- Educators Take a Stand Against Coronavirus Racism (NEA)
- Battling a Surge of Anti-Asian Hate Crimes (Share My Lesson)
More racial and social justice resources:
Education Minnesota classroom resources for educators: https://edmn.me/3szFfxk
NEA EdJustice: https://edmn.me/3m1CodW
5 anti-racism resources for educators: https://edmn.me/36EHUvs
More anti-racism resources: https://edmn.me/2AlbDxa
5 ways to address bias in your school: https://edmn.me/36FaE7u
Share My Lesson racism collection: https://edmn.me/3ccMjqs
Ibram X. Kendi blog: https://www.ibramxkendi.com
Racial Justice in Education resource guide: https://edmn.me/2zDzSa5
Learning for Justice: www.learningforjustice.org
Colorin Colorado resources: https://edmn.me/3hCC9U3
Teaching While White: https://edmn.me/2Bxl0dT
Confronting White Nationalism in Schools toolkit: https://edmn.me/3gCQrDV
Equity & social justice websites: https://edmn.me/2TO5bWC
Showing Up for Racial Justice: https://edmn.me/2Y3OF6