Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching, and Science, Mathematics and Engineering Mentoring
Education Minnesota members were recently named recipients of the Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching, the highest award given by the U.S. Government to kindergarten through 12th grade teachers of mathematics and science.
- Stacy Bartlett, Stillwater
- Patricia Haugh, Mahtomedi
- David McGill, St. Paul
- Eugenia Paulus, North Hennepin Community College, was also awarded the Presidential Award for Excellence in Science, Mathematics and Engineering Mentoring, which recognizes the critical roles mentors play outside the traditional classroom setting in the academic and professional development of the future STEM workforce.
Environmental education awards
Jen Heyer, Eden Prairie, was awarded the 2019 Presidential Innovation Award for Environmental Educators, awarded by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, as well Environmental Educator of the Year Award by the Minnesota Association for Environmental Education.
Deb Schlueter, Pine River-Backus, was also named Environmental Educator of the Year Award by the Minnesota Association for Environmental Education.
World Language Teacher of the Year
Pang Yang, a Hmong language and literacy teacher in Osseo, was named the 2019 World Language Teacher of the Year by the Minnesota Council on the Teaching of Languages and Cultures.
School Social Worker of the Year
Molly Cirillo, Hastings, was named the School Social Worker of the Year by the Minnesota School Social Workers Association.
Hamline University’s Women in Public Service Rising Star Award
Chelsey Tulgren, who teaches adult basic education at the Stillwater Correctional Facility, received Hamline University’s Women in Public Service Rising Star Award in November. The award is designed to recognize women in public service with 10 or fewer years of service who are already making their mark in working toward the public good.
The Minnesota Council of Social Studies named its 2019 Teachers of the Year:
- Elementary: Angela Bianco, White Bear Lake
- Middle: Michele Melius, Waconia
- High: Jessica Felosi, Grand Rapids
The Minnesota School Counselors Association honored its 2019 award winners:
- Middle School: Sandra Mortensen, Bloomington
The Art Educators of Minnesota honored its 2019 art educators of the year:
- Elementary: Leah Schultz, Elk River
- Middle: Molly Wiste, Bemidji
- High: Shanda Landes, Glencoe-Silver Lake
The Minnesota Science Teachers Association honored its 2019 award winners:
- Secondary: Laura Unterholzner, Rochester